[extropy-chat] embedded in open hearts

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed Apr 6 01:52:40 UTC 2005

At 05:17 PM 05/04/05 -0700, you wrote:
>From: "Amara Graps" <Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it>
>>
>>Why did I, a nonCatholic, embed myself in the masses of people,
>>bidding goodbye to the Pope?
>
>>And given that this might be the only time in my life when the
>>messy, chaotic place where I live is at the center of the world's
>>attention, I wanted to participate.
>
>>Was it worth it? Most certainly yes. 'An incredible experience' I
>>told myself when I exited the Vatican. For several hours, I was
>>surrounded for kilometers by many tens of thousands of people who
>>had opened their hearts.
>
>I don't get the pope.  If I were to play a pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey-type
>of game substituting, for the donkey, one of the doorways of the 38 units
>in the condo building where I live, I would have a good chance of blindly
>picking  a less dangerous, more compassionate and more intelligent human
>being than the pope ever was.

It certainly was an engaging story.  I sent it on to someone Amara knows
but has not seen for perhaps 15 years.

The story also provides an opening to ask *why* people react this way.  I
think I know.  Before I post, anyone else want to speculate?

Keith Henson

PS.  The reason for *any* human psychological trait lies in genes that were
selected in the stone age.  Also you have a better chance of understanding
this question if you are up on evolutionary psychology and/or have read
Pascal Boyer's _Religion Explained_.