[extropy-chat] RFID smartcard passports and driver's licenses

Dustin Wish with INDCO Networks dwish at indco.net
Thu Apr 7 15:08:10 UTC 2005

They didn't use just Exxon's speed pass it the hack. I am a wireless/RF
engineer. Wireless is WAY MORE mojo than science. If you read the white
papers on the encryption schemes for the RFID from TI then you'd understand
the key was only a 40-bit key. That is just plain weak. The key that others
will use is more like 128-bit AES with a propriety algorithm from the
manufacturer. The issue here is that do you care if someone scans you to see
if you have a Gillette razor in your bag? Personally I think that privacy
was over about the time JFK got shot and computers became mass used. You can
use encryption methods to hide data that you don't want others to see, that
is about it. The feds and NSA use GPS to track persons that they want, but
the key is that they want them. Trust me, if they want you, they just come
get you. If you’re a spy or something then maybe you have something to worry
about, otherwise keep buying at Wal-Mart, they are an Arkansas company.