[extropy-chat] RFID smartcard passports and driver's licenses

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 14:02:27 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Mike Lorrey
> >
> > ... Joe Blow, SSN XXX-XX-XXXX is making a cash purchase.
>
> Seems like a hell of a tool for busting identity thieves.  If
> you are making a cash purchase at the same time you are across
> town using a credit card, they know something is bogus.

Of course, it is also a great way to institute a totalitarian system to
monitor the general population without doing the same with public
officials. Transparency is only valuable if the public officials are
under the greatest and broadest scrutiny, particularly law enforcement.

I happen to know that law enforcement personnel are able to legally
remove themselves from the background check databases (I have seen this
happen). Expect them to be the only ones allowed to carry RFID
shielding technology.

> > ...They log when Joe Blow entered and exited
> > the store through the anti-shoplifting gates. You will see these
> gates
> > in more and more places where it is essentially impossible for you
> > shoplift anything...
>
> Those places would have better prices than their
> competitors because of lower shoplifting costs.
> We save money.

I guess I wasn't clear: these gates will be in non-retail locations,
such as entrances to stadiums, subways, and other areas of pedestrian
constriction, and only used to track people.

> > ... But that tie you got from
> > your mistress that you told your wife one of your employees gave
> you is
> > an automatic flag for a cavity inspection.
>
> I don't follow you here.  How would RFID tags know
> (or care) what you told your wife regarding the
> origin of your tie?

They won't, but the fact it was purchased with a credit card not your
own makes you a suspected credit fraudster. It is after you are cavity
searched, and maybe arrested, that you wife is going to ask what all
the brouhaha is about...

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com