[extropy-chat] RFID smartcard passports and driver's licenses

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Apr 9 22:45:48 UTC 2005

> On Apr 8, 2005 12:31 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>>
>> The thing you are missing is that as RFID becomes ubiquitous, a hacker
>> doesn't need access to a database anymore to rip off your identity, it
>> is ALL sitting on your person in the form of chips ready to transmit
>> your personal information like Kitty Kelly playing a crack whore.
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Are you getting that cold sinking feeling, yet?

A solution to possible identity theft would be to tie the information
to biometric scan.  Thus a would be identity thief would be immediately
detected.

A better solution also addressing privacy would be a small computer
(perhaps the size of a key fob or built in to a cell phone) that could
only be activated by the biometrics of the user and that allows the
user to rigorously control how much information is transmitted in any
encounter.  If the device was stolen it would be useless without very
major decryption work.   It should also be possible to set the amount
of information to be automatically available on request at will.  The
information that I would want automatically available at a party would
likely be very different than what I would want available in a business
setting.

- samantha