[extropy-chat] Question for Amara

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Apr 12 00:16:49 UTC 2005

Hal wrote:

>I am not Amara but I will offer some speculations.  Suppose we had a
>Saturn-like ring system around our planet.  What would it look like?

I wonder about your Saturnian ring scenario. Where is the moon relative to
the ring system, and how do they interact with each other?

The ringed outer planets do have moons, but they do not appear to
measurably affect their planets.

Discussions I've seen of the role of our uniquely large moon (in absolute
size and particularly in size relative to its planet) suggest that life as
we know it would not have developed here had we not had the Moon.

And would the ring system have a tidal effect? If so, how would it compare
in magnitude and direction to the lunar tidal effect?

-- David.