[extropy-chat] Please share your knowledge - my father has been unconscious for 6 days

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 00:57:59 UTC 2005

Kevin,

I am not a medical doctor and so I will refrain any
organic diagnosis/prognosis of your father's
condition. I will tell you he is coming to grips with
a near death experience. He has experienced something
that is making him reluctant to come back. In many
similar case studies people report seeing and
interacting with long dead loved-ones. Whether this is
some paranormal phenomenon or hallucinations induced
by an oxygen starved brain are immaterial because from
his point of view they would be real. Thus he might be
spending time with someone he loved who has died in
his own mind. The only way to bring him back is to
convince him that he is wanted and loved here in the
material world. What I recommend is that you have the
doctors lower his sedative levels while you remain
there at his side, hold his hand, talk to him (he will
hear you even if he doesn't respond), and maybe lure
him back with some of his favorite music or the aroma
of his favorite food etc. I think your father will be
fine once he is convinced that he can stand to wait a
few more years to be reunited with those he has loved
and lost.

--- "kevinfreels.com" <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:
> On Thursday last week, my 53 year old father had a
> mild heart attack. He is a smoker, but other than
> that, he had none of the other associative risk
> factors. Just 12 days before, he hiked up a mountain
> in North Carolina to 6500 feet. He is ideal weight,
> gets plenty of excercise and has never had any other
> health problems in his life. He has never had
> stitches, broken bones, and rarely even gets a cold.
>

> The attack was mild and he did not know it was a
> heart attack until after they ran some tests. They
> checked him in and decided to do an angioplasty on
> Saturday morning. When they got in there, they found
> blockages of 90%, 85% and 75% and decided to do a
> triple-bypass.
>
> A few hours later, his condition worsened quickly
> and they moved him to an immediate emergency bypass
> and did it Saturday afternoon.
>
> Sunday he had still not woken up. They were keeping
> him sedated in ICU because he was growing agitated
> when they would reduce the Diprivan they were
> sedating him with. His lungs were not functioning as
> well as they should. Then at about 8pm his Oxygen
> level started dropping despite the respirator. They
> managed to get it under control by putting him on
> 100% Oxygen.
>
> Since then they have gradually weaned him off the
> respirator. He is breathing on his own for all but
> two breaths per minute. The respirator is putting in
> Oxygen at 35%. His blood Oxygen seems OK at around
> 97% and heart rate between 77 and 87. But he still
> has not been woken up.
>
> What I am being told is that when they reduce the
> sedative he becomes too agitated and squirmy to work
> with. He doesn;t respond to commands and doesn;t
> open his eyes or focus. He bites down on the tube
> and holds his breath and they have to start the drip
> again. But they can;t remove the respirator until
> they can wake him up.
>
> Each day we are told that everything is time and
> maybe we can try again to get him off the respirator
> tomorrow, but it is the same thing every day. The
> doctors say that he did not lose Oxygen for a long
> enough time to wrry about damage to his brain, but a
> nurse hinted today that there could be something
> wrong. When the doctor came in they said that wasn't
> true and that the nurse was out of line saying that.
>

> Has anyone here ever heard of such a situation? It
> all seems rather strange. I have never heard of
> anyone ever taking this long to come through a
> triple bypass and with his health stats being so
> good it seems even more strange. We are told the
> same thing every day and I am about ready to start
> calling other doctors. Before I do that though, I
> was hoping to get some opinons of others who may
> have ran into similar situations. I have researched
> the possible side-effects of Diprivan and have found
> few - less than 1% and not very reliably documented.
> The Oxygen level did not drop to a dangerous level
> according to the docs and they also say that his
> [...]

The Avantguardian

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson