[extropy-chat] EMP Attack?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 16:36:04 UTC 2005

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:

> The Sept. 11 commission report stated that our biggest failure was
> one of "imagination." No one imagined that terrorists would do what
> they did on Sept. 11.

Actually, this is wrong. There was specifically a rather extensive US
Army study and exercise conducted in 1978 that looked specifically at
terrorists flying airliners into the world trade center. Of course, the
conspiracy theorists are not claiming this is the 'smoking gun' that
our government staged 9-11, but one wonders then about all the studies
the US military has done about alien invasion and asteroid impact,
etc...

> Today few Americans can conceive of the possibility that
> terrorists could bring our society to its knees by destroying
> everything we
> rely on that runs on electricity. But this time we've been warned,
> and we'd better be prepared to respond.

He's obviously pimping for the SDI system, probably for the Lockheed
THEL system specifically, to be widely deployed, perhaps even orbited.

Actually, I would be more concerned about terrorists constructing high
explosive triggered EMP weapons (not nukes) near government, financial,
and technology centers. Think about what fun it would be if most
electronic government records suddenly got wiped....

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com