[extropy-chat] EMP Attack?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 18 20:08:35 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> There is no basis for such a doubt when the persons in question are
> Bush and Rice, persons whose business it is to speak from reliable
> information on such topics.

Ah.  I thought you were talking about my claims, and I was speaking
only of those lower down in the chain - those who might have actually
been tasked with implementing defenses, had other parts of the
government (including the higher-ups) told them of this possibility.
(See "right hand does not know what the left hand is doing" - although
Bush et al did know.)

Given what I have seen, I would tend to agree with you that Bush was
alerted to the possibility.  (Whether Bush actually paid any attention
to the warnings is another matter.  It is quite possible for people to
be told something, dismiss it, and have the warning nowhere in their
memory months later.  The President, whatever his responsibilities, is
human like the rest of us, and this will continue to be the case until
we can get >H tech developed and accepted enough that even whoever the
President is at that time uses it.)

> A plausible attack scenario is just forgotten even though it was
> still
> plausible?  That would be incompetent at best.

That's our government for you.