[extropy-chat] Re: [SOCIO] Cooperation and diversity [Was: Spain has become...]

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Apr 22 16:58:14 UTC 2005

Dirk Bruere wrote:

> Jef Allbright wrote:
>
>> Rather, we can expect *increased* diversity, but within an
>> increasingly aware cultural framework that recognizes and promotes
>> the enhanced value of cooperative interaction among diverse agents.
>>
> I think that the opposite is likely.
> That with increasing diversity there will come a massive, and
> polarised, competition between new Human species.
> Racism writ larger than ever.
> Those who don't 'look after their own' preferentially will lose out to
> those who do.

Dirk, cooperative advantage is fundamental to competitive success at all
scales of organization, from the subatomic through prebiological and
biological to cultural.

Do you not think these hypothetical separatists would have some
interests in common, and find ways to cooperate, even temporarily, to
overcome others less organized?  Do you not think that those who find
themselves at a disadvantage would tend to adapt and cooperate rather
than be destroyed?

Why do you speculate that these "new humans", more advanced than us,
would recapitulate evolutionary growth from isolated biological
organisms to cooperative cultural organisms?

"Looking out for your own" is the essence of morality, and in the
broader sense means converting your potential enemies into trading
partners rather than destroying them.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net