[extropy-chat] Spain has become the third country in Europe tolegalise gay marriage

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sat Apr 23 02:23:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Dirk Bruere wrote:

> I think that the opposite is likely.
> That with increasing diversity there will come a massive, and polarised,
> competition between new Human species.
> Racism writ larger than ever.
> Those who don't 'look after their own' preferentially will lose out to those
> who do.

It all depends on how fast we'll be able to travel, and how
much matter & energy we have access to.  If we can't break
the light speed barrier, I expect various human cultures to
be too far away to be able to effectively compete with others.

After all, if sending 10,000 soldiers to an "enemy's" territory
takes a few centuries, why bother?  There could be half a billion
trained soldiers waiting, or the two civilisations could be the
best of friends again (assuming ship speed << light speed).