[extropy-chat] Psychological Roots of Religious Belief

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Apr 23 04:02:11 UTC 2005

I am about four chapters into a book by the above name by M.D. Faber.
It was just published in November, 2004.

qid=1114226930/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2857632-8806264?v=glance&s=books

This is one of the most important books in this area that I have ever
read.  While I have a strong enough love of rationality to have
remained hooked by religion I have certainly been strongly under its
sway at some points in my life and have been drown toward it even
despite my rational objections even to this day.  A large part of what
kept me fascinated was the very existence of such a strong deep pull
and that the religious pull seem to have this experiential quality of
being "truer than true" despite lacking evidence or reasoning
establishing its validity.   It was enough to make me wonder if I was
"called" and if their was some means of extra-rational knowing after
all.   In addition I have had a few very powerful mystical experiences
that had what I was drawn to deeply and utterly present completely
fulfilling and seemingly validating that deep yearning.   It has been
stumping me and bothering me a lot that I didn't have a good
explanation for the flavor and strength of these incredible affective
experiences.  The best I came up with is that I had been deeply
infected as a child with religious memes and had deepened it as an
adult to such an extent that I would always have a deep groove in my
brain in that direction.  But that did not satisfactorily explain it to
say the least.

This book explains very convincingly how the experience of human
infancy at a depth psychological level plus the fact of infant amnesia
sets us up for being touched at a profoundly deep affective level by
religion aka spirituality.   I cannot do justice to the author's
reasoning here.  But I heartily recommend this book with one warning.
If you are not willing to let go of whatever of the deep sweet powerful
religious yearning that may still lurk inside, do not read this book.
Read this book if you want to complete your understanding of why most
human beings are deeply drawn to religion and are so powerfully bound
to it.

- samantha