[extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 14:46:36 UTC 2005

--- Brian Lee <brian_a_lee at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Once oil production actually peaks (as opposed to predicted peaks) we
> will still have many years available to us as oil prices increase to
> develop alternative energy.

As well as more conservation technologies. Peak Oil production, even if
true, is really immaterial. What matters is the rate of consumption of
oil per dollar (or yuan) of GNP. We are currently on a continuously
decreasing curve of less oil per dollar of GNP, at least here in the US
as well as in China, demonstrating further technological advancement
and transition to information technologies and services industries,
while production industries become further automated.

The only area of the US economy that consumed more oil in 2000 than in
1990 was transportation, which is full of industries bogged down by too
much government regulation, union controls, resistance to automation,
and political influence, as well as consumer sentiment that saw the
greater efficiency of the larger economy as an excuse to buy a bigger
SUV, because they could afford to.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com