[extropy-chat] Re: [SOCIO] Cooperation and diversity

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue Apr 26 16:44:42 UTC 2005

Jef Allbright wrote:

> Jef:  Rather, we can expect *increased* diversity, but within an
> increasingly aware cultural framework that recognizes and promotes the
> enhanced value of cooperative interaction among diverse agents.
>
> Dirk:  I think that the opposite is likely. That with increasing
> diversity there will come a massive, and polarised, competition
> between new Human species. Racism writ larger than ever. Those who
> don't 'look after their own' preferentially will lose out to those who
> do.
>
> <Snips>
>
> Dirk:  'Self' in the current bigger picture is the success of
> propagating ones genes into the future.  With immortals that big
> picture shrinks down to more immediate self.
>
> Jef:  I'm arguing *for* evolutionary theory, and saying that
> synergy--what we call "cooperation" when it's between agents--is
> fundamental to survival and growth of any evolving system.
>
> Dirk:  Of course it is, but 99% of all the species that have existed
> are extinct.  Co-operation occurs within species and competition
> between species in the same ecological niche.  I susepct that one of
> the defining aspects of PostHumans is that their 'niche' will
> encompass just about everything.
>
> -------------------
>
> Ah, I think I now understand the basis of your assertion of "massive,
> and polarized, competition between new Human species. Racism writ
> larger than ever."  Given an immediate Self effectively
> all-encompassing due to near immortality, and vastly expanded
> environment for this selfish Self to grow into, then I can see why you
> would predict this kind of all or nothing competition.
>
> However, I would argue that as the Players evolve, so does the Game,
> and that when we reach this level of growth and capability, the game
> will be qualitatively different.  I hesitate to make any predictions,
> from my limited point of view, of what such a qualitatively different
> game would be like, but I can offer one likely example:
>
> Physical size and spread will continue to be a competitive advantage
> in terms of "holding the high ground", being able to flank and
> surround an enemy, and being able to store and utilize massive
> resources.  However, a system spread even as far around as the Earth
> would have inherent problems of communication latency between its
> subsystems.  For this reason, the hypothetical PostHuman Self can not
> be shrunk down as you suggest because to do so would limit its ability
> to compete.  Thus, it seems the hypothetical PostHuman must
> necessarily be in the form of a "culture" of semi-autonomous, and thus
> highly cooperative, subsystems.
>
> In summary, the most successful (read effectively competitive) systems
> of the future can be expected to possess more diversity (degrees of
> freedom), AND be more highly cooperative, than those of today.

Which is why I claimed in another thread IIRC that PostHumans will
evolve into one of two forms. Super self reliant individuals and hive minds.
As for the semi-autonomous bits within such hive minds, think
super-nationalism.
I see the 'individuals' getting out of town really fast because of their
inability to compete, and evolutionary convergence to a single planetary
(or even solar system) hive mind. Whether the latter is achieved via
merger, extermination or assimilation by conquest I can't guess.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org