[extropy-chat] A ROOM-TEMPERATURE PALM-SIZED NUCLEAR FUSION DEVICE

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Wed Apr 27 22:51:08 UTC 2005

Adrian Tymes wrote:

>One can get bursts of nuclear fusion from small devices.  That's been
>known for a while.  The problem is getting a net production of
>electricity - in this case, more joules out than are consumed by, for
>example, heating the crystal.  (Looking at energy creation without
>acknowledging energy consumption is like looking at income without
>acknowledging expenses.)
>
>Still, this might have use as a neutron source for MEMS devices.

What has happened to the list? Here we have the first simple, fully
replicable,
fully understood benchtop fusion device, and the only two responses are
dismissive.

Look: Its a first try. Yes, the result is not exothermic, but since the
science is
well understood, scientists can use this as a basis for improvement.
With just a bit
of cleverness, it may be possible to engineer a micro-scale chain
reaction and
achieve a controllable break-even. This should scare you, since it would
then be trivial
to use the result as a trigger for an arbitrarily large thermonuclear
device. Oops.

I corresponded with Seth Putterman (the lead investigator) in 1996 when
I was interested in
Sonoluminescence. He was probably the lead player in SBSL experiments,
and we
on this list were speculating about inducing fusion via SBSL. Needless
to say he
knows a whole lot about piezoelectric elements, which are the workhorse
tools
for SBSL.