[extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 01:17:53 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Matus <matus at matus1976.com> wrote:
> >
> > Has any resource, ever, reached a peak and then
> > declined while demand
> > continued to be at least consistent?  Ever?  Why all
> > of the sudden are
> > we suggesting it will happen with Oil?
> >
> Hmmm. I think ivory from elephant tusks might be a
> resource that has peaked and is now declining despite
> high demand.

On the contrary, now that elephant herds are privately managed and
hunted on a free market basis, there has been a massive rebound in
elephant populations, such that they are nowhere near endangered, and
ivory tusk supplies are quite high.

Whale oil, which was supplanted by petroleum for most applications,
remained in supply for specialized lubrication purposes (like watches).

It might also be said that the transitions from the Copper Age to the
Bronze Age to the Iron Age reflect a transition in material usage

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com