[extropy-chat] Deep-earth methane generation

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Thu Apr 28 19:36:49 UTC 2005

The question for me began when I was very young - and although this may
be flawed, it made for further inquiry: If dinosaurs got stuck in and
died in the LaBrea tar pits, then what dinosaurs died to make the tar
pits in the first place? It seemed like a chicken and egg scenario.

The answer was eventually in chemistry class. We've all taken a
carbohydrate, and cooked it to make caramel. The Earth takes
hydrocarbons, aggregated at planetary formation, and cooks them into
crude. Given that it has been shown that high impacts involving
hydrocarbons have even formed protein chains, I think this at some
point becomes obvious. It is our distance from the sun that put so much
oil in Earth, not a bunch of dead matter.

The only biotic process in the carbon cycle of crude oil is the
extraction, distillation and combustion...!

Bret