[extropy-chat] Kurzweil's radio talk

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 08:43:24 UTC 2005

I am listening to a radio speech of Ray Kurzweil on Here and
Now<http://www.here-now.org/shows/2005/08/20050801_2.asp>.
He talks of the content of his forthcoming book and of the prospect of fast
forwarding evolution through technology. Kurzweil does not like the term
"transhumanism" and "transcending human nature" too much: he thinks that
pushing beyond current limits is exactly what human nature is all about, and
that we will still be humans after transcending biology. Therefore he
prefers the term "transbiological".
Asked about the future of computing technology, Kurzweil, who has developed
techniques to predict how technology evolves, says that we will have
information processing inside our bodies and brains, and eventually manage
to create non-biologic intelligences that will merge and co-evolve with us.
Abstract: Kurzweil invented the first print-to speech reading machine for
the blind, the first music synthesizer, and, in the early 90's, he predicted
a world wide computer network, the dominance of intelligent weapons in
warfare, and the defeat of a human chess champion by a computer. So when
Kurzweil speaks, people listen. Now he's saying that in the near future
blood cell sized robots called nanobots will travel our bloodstreams making
repairs. He sees this as one part of a larger trend of achieving immortality
through technology.
Kurzweil's new book, which is coming soon, is titled "The Singularity is
Near, When Humans Transcend
Biology<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0670033847/wburorg-20/002-4766736-5240027>
."
 Here and Now is Public Radio's noon news magazine. Produced every weekday
at WBUR <http://www.wbur.org/> in Boston, Here and Now is a fast-paced
program that covers up-to-the-minute news and also provides regular features
on food and cooking, science and technology, and personal finance, as well
as cultural stories about film, theater, music and more.