[extropy-chat] good space shuttle article

Neil H. neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 21:47:42 UTC 2005

On 8/3/05, Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> NASA needs to, if it is going to remain in the launch business (which
> IMHO it shouldn't) separate launching cargo from launching people.
> Launching cargo should be done as cheaply as possible, while launching
> people should be done as safely as possible.

This is often claimed and seems rather intuitive, but I'm not sure
it's correct. Rand Simberg at Transterrestrial Musings periodically
addresses the cargo vs. crew separation claim:

http://www.transterrestrial.com/archives/005491.html

> Generally speaking, the traditional booster makers should develop
> private cargo launching companies and boosters, while the x-prize
> generation of entrepreneurs, along with other entrants, should be
> dealing in the people orbiting business. By 2010, IMHO, NASA should be
> contracting the sending of its astronauts to the ISS with a private
> entity like Virgin Galactic or any competitors that crop up. They can
> meet up there with any elements of a NASA interplanetary program they
> launch on cargo launchers.

I can't remember if I've posted about this here, but this is pretty
much what NASA is doing. The plan is to purchase commercial
transportation of cargo to the ISS, followed by commercially-purchased
crew transportation after those systems have proven themselves.

Relevant links:

Space Review's "A Vision for Commercialization":
http://thespacereview.com/article/418/1

Announcement of NASA's Innovative Programs:
http://www.rocketforge.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=385&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

SpacePolitics "Commercialization becomes essential":
http://www.spacepolitics.com/archives/000604.html