[extropy-chat] roids

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 21:17:46 UTC 2005

On 8/4/05, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> Broccoli can cause cancer, so what? Most of the things we do in life
> have cancer risk. Lets just prohibit cancer? I realize this may hit
> home a bit and don't mean to offend.

This is a really silly comment, Mike.
Are you trying to equate the effects of steroids with the effects of broccoli?
I mean, really??

Actually, to be strictly correct, steroids don't cause cancer. They
destroy the immune system, which in turn means you get cancers and
other illnesses.

"Another serious steroid problem is that we all need aggressive immune
systems to fight infections and cancers, but steroids knock that out.
People on high doses of steroids for medical reasons can die from
chest infections and cancers of many kinds. We see these patterns in
those who receive organ transplants, who need often need huge doses of
steroids to stop the body from destroying the donated tissue. Cancers
often develop, which shows us how important our white cells are in
keeping us cancer-free, and how often all of us develop cancer in our
daily lives. Most of us may have two or three tiny cancers inside us
at any time. Taking high dose steroids makes it more likely one of
these will develop rapidly."

Whereas, if you google on 'broccoli cancer'
you will see that research is finding that broccoli protects you
against some cancers.

Eat your greens - it's good for you!

BillK