[extropy-chat] FW: Interesting post on hacking the self

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 5 19:13:46 UTC 2005

Hmm...it seems accurate (if leaving out a few things) to summarize his
post as:

"You", the conscious fraction of your brain, are the meaning of life
for the rest of yourself.  If you fail to provide direction and
guidance for yourself, as many people do, you will find yourself
walking down whatever path that happened to be started during
childhood.

(I wonder if this has much to do with the "don't grow up" memes I
occasionally see, which get quenched when they are confused with
desires to be immature.  Being emotionally mature enough to make sense
of one's hormones, and to comprehend others' feelings and act upon
them, merely happens to come at about the same age when people start
being able to act largely on what they've learned rather than on
forging their own path through life.  The two need not be the same,
even if many people think they are because they happen at the same
time, and that to return to a mode where one directs oneself is
necessarily to give up on being able to act as an adult, and thus
largely be unable to act in society given as one is now in an adult
body.)