[extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sat Aug 6 17:58:56 UTC 2005

Dirk Bruere wrote:

> Don't worry - the insurgency will die down when the war is officially
> over... er... when saddam is captured... er... when  elections are
> held... er... when the handover to a provisional Iraqi govt is made...
> er... when the new constitution is created... er... when more
> elections are held... er...
>
> How about - WHEN THE US AND BRITISH FUCK OFF OUT OF IRAQ ALTOGETHER.

Granted, Bush started the war for ideological reasons, and fooled
himself into thinking there was a way to win this war, also based on
ideology rather than facts. Reasoning from idology rather than facts
will lead you astray no matter what your ideology is.

But now the war has happened. The problem is how to extract ourselves
witht he least additional damage.  Simply pulling out as fast as
physically possible may be the least bad solution, but it will not stop
the insurgency. It will lead to an ugly 3-way civil war.

I've come to the conclusion that the least bad solution would be a 3-way
partition of Iraq, leaving the Shiites, Kurds, and Sunnis with separate
areas with their own governments. The Shiites would come under Iranian
control, The Sunnis under Saudi control, and the Kurds would remain an
independent state This would be a really, really bad solution, but I
cannot think of a better one that has any chace of success.