[extropy-chat] The future of the web

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 07:34:57 UTC 2005

The IFTF's Future Now
blog<http://future.iftf.org/2005/08/a_collaborative.html>has a pointer
to an excellent
knowledge at wharton<http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/index.cfm?fa=viewArticle&id=1244&specialId=38>article
on the future of the Web: "Something
fundamentally big is happening that will profoundly affect the life of every
person and every business over the next five to 15 years -- the collapsing
of everything into one single, global, ubiquitous, collaborative virtual IT
world".
The article shows how today's web services are the first steps toward the
emergence of a global "nervous system" with virtual personal assistants
helping users navigating the more and more complex dataflow. The authors
note that "In this industry, we always overestimate what we can do in one
year, and underestimate what we can do in 10 - There's lots of innovation
yet to come", and believe this will deeply change work patterns. Most
building blocks are already in place, but the main problem to be solved is
how to balance usability, privacy and security.
To put things in perspective, his article should be read together with Kevin
Kelly's article <http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.08/tech.html> in *Wired
Magazine* and Mike Treder's
comments<http://crnano.typepad.com/crnblog/2005/08/homo_ex_machina.html>on
the
CRN <http://crnano.org/> blog: "In 10 years, the system will contain
hundreds of millions of miles of fiber-optic neurons linking the billions of
ant-smart chips embedded into manufactured products, buried in environmental
sensors, staring out from satellite cameras, guiding cars, and saturating
our world with enough complexity to begin to learn. We will live inside this
thing..."