[extropy-chat] Future friendly movies

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Mon Aug 8 15:49:37 UTC 2005

I've been wanting to send this to the list for a while, and am glad
to be prompted rather than introduce a thread.
Let me paste in what I've got so far, from this morning's train ride:

I am NOT referring to the movie, here. So when you read it, don't
think "meh. that movie was so-so."
This is in reference to Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex, or
GITS:SAC

It is a 2 season 26 episode per season Anime with pretty much the
same characters as the movies.

I know cartoon network (I believe) just ran the first season, and the
english version of this was "ok" - the first 6+ episodes are kind of
standard future/CSI/bladerunner feel to them, but it goes in some
good directions after that. Season two is very, very good when it
comes to fiction, character development and plausible future
plotlines. As always, the subtitled versions are superior in plot,
ideas and dialogue, not to mention that the original Japanese
episodes are a couple minutes longer because of being edited to fit
the US timeslot.

Here are some things featured in the series:

person to person linking
ai to person linking
ai to ai linking
person uploads
cybernetic 'disease' from the human/machine interface (similar to MS)
a future 'disorder' resultant from too much linking/overstimulation
(similar to Autism)
nano-pharmaceutical treatments, and of course drug-company/government
profiteer liason stuff
body changing
surrogate bodies/experiences
mind hacking/body hacking
unsolicited nano-infiltration
ai 'wakeups'
network-only conscious entities
multi-conscious uploaded entities
'leftover' cybernetic parts that are still 'occupied'
a character that grows up as an 90% augment, needing cybernetic body
changes/upgrades
     every few years to accommodate leftover human body part  growth.
experience hacking
(what is probably) a criminal sentient network virus
intentional meme propagation/cold war/hot war i.e. memetic warfare
copies existing without originals
co-joined physical and "cyberspace" locations

... and pretty much everything about the mind/body problem you'd get
from four semesters of philosophy courses, all wrapped in the
wonderful artistic backdrop of Master Shirow Masamune.

The opening is haunting, a blend of English, Russian and Latin choir/
industrial. It gives me goosebumps to this day:
http://www.bretorium.com/opening_credits.mov

Maybe if we can 'tear ourselves away' from 20th century political
motivations for a little while, some would be up for enjoying and
(dare I say) discussing some of the aspects of this show. ]=)

]3