[extropy-chat] the next In thing

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 18:11:30 UTC 2005

Perhaps I'm arguing about straw me. Perhaps not. It wasn't aimed at you, but at those who who think they can endlessly recapitulate the Vietnam protest chills and thrills, the Seattle- type protesters who yell "CRUSH INJUSTICE" ;"STAMP OUT VIOLENCE"; "SMASH OPPRESSION & WARFARE".
Not to lump protesters into one mass nonetheless there are alot of protester faddists who will move on to the next In thing later on. You might say 'they're not for you to judge we need young protesters who learn from the experience'. Okay however I saw it all 35 years ago, boatloads of posturing. There's a Tom Wolfe's cartoon concerning a guy who starts out as a peace 'n' love hippy; moves on to being a working class hero shouting in combat boots and a helmet; then he discovers Jesus Christ Superstar so he is depicted praying in a diaper. Eventually he wears a Hunter Thompson outfit, smoking a cigarette, overseeing his servants in a marijuana warehouse. I saw it all up close back then. In a few years it will be the Next Big Thing;  chanting hare krishna at the Pentagon. Sufi Woodstock festivals,. nude surfing protests outside naval bases. Pass the $3 non-GMO candy bars out...

http://mail.yahoo.com