[extropy-chat] ANNOUNCE: Extropy Campus

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Tue Aug 9 00:31:29 UTC 2005

Natasha Vita-More wrote:

> From: Brett Paatsch
>
> "Natasha,
>
> I organised a little marketing focus group with myself.
> "
> It found the Max More and Natasha Vita More brands to be very clearly
> still good,
>
> (It's Vita-More)

Sorry, I was typing in a hurry, and spelt phonetically. When I say a
hyphenated name as opposed to seeing it, the hyphen disappears.

I'll take that as a warning I was in too much of a hurry for such a
potentially sensitive topic as branding.

My problem is that I want to give feedback but can't spare too
much time so sometimes, like above, I am clumsy rather than silent.

> "the Exi-chat list to be good, the Extropy brand to be possibly a
> bit worn out or diluted by some of its associations since it was first
> encountered by the focus group, but, basically, still good."
>
> ** This runs counter to my stats.

Your stats are likely coming from a bigger group of people. I was
just speaking for myself. A focus group of one.

> Could you let us  know your criteria for
> brand quality?

Essentially brands that try to be all things to all people can't
possibly succeed, the brand becomes meaningless.

> Can you explain why the new website, VP Summit and
> Proactionary Principle are diluting ExI?

Briefly, the VP Summit I have no opinion on as I didn't pay
enough attention to it, the Proactionary Principle was a net
plus and the new website, when I looked at it briefly looked
more sophisticated than the old.

The problem for me is the associations. Extropy associated
with cryonics and Drexlerian nanotech doesn't work well with
Extropy in association with teaching critical thinking.

To be blunt, from what I have seen, some of the champions of
cryonics and Drexlerian nanotech conduct themselves less
honourably than do Max and yourself in the way they write and
deal with criticism. I don't want to get into criticising others that
aren't here to defend themselves but I do need to say something
in order to warn you that there are downsides of posting lists of
affiliated or associated organisations as well as upsides and you
may not be aware of all the downsides because people may not
tell you because they do not want to invoke an understandable
defence of your friends reaction.

The Extropian Principles are core to the ExI brand as I perceive
it, they go to values not technology. The Exi-chat list is sort of
living culture where each poster is developing their own mini
brand with their name when they post.

Add too much corporate-slickness, get too eager to bring in
revenue and you might harm some of what you have that is
good.

 >The feedback I have
> gotten from these elements are positive and membership has
> risen because of them.
>
> Re the list:  "still good" is not good enough.  I has to be excellent.
> What can we do to improve your findings?

Nothing that I can think of.  The only way for Exi-chat to be excellent
rather than good would be for the posts to be excellent rather than
good and you can't do as host it is up to the posters. If you try to
censor, for instance, to improve quality you will probably go backwards
rather than forwards.

One of the best things about the Exi-chat list is that the moderators and
ExI largely leave it alone. Unfortunately that also means that there is a
lot of noise on the list from time to time. But the noise is preferrable to
the
alternative.

> "The focus group
> is slightly interested in and wishes well any derivative brands like
> Extropy
> Campus but doesn't always have the time to keep track of them. My focus
> group hopes it works out well for the "parent" brands."
>
> This is an idea I came up with a couple of years ago but wanted to manage
> the other elements before arriving at the announcement.

I remember.

> "The good thing about focus groups is that one doesn't have to worry about
> em too much, if one is sure one has a great product or service."
>
> True, but they can bring in diverse comments and findings.  I was just on
> onen with Future Lab here in Austin.  I was surprised at the insufficient
> level of global and futurist experiences and knowledge from other groups
> participants.

My opinions are just mine.

Brett Paatsch