[extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Tue Aug 9 08:34:47 UTC 2005

What was so great about Churchill?

Agesilaus was the lame king of Sparta who was revered in Sparta for
being nice and turned the balance of power from the senate to the king.
Among his many victories as a warrior (for he was trained as a warrior,
not as a king, he was the king's brother who took power when the senate
decided they didn't like the king's real heir) was that over the
Persians. He defeated them by signaling to their king Tisaphernes that
he was going to attack Lydia and instead he attacked Phrygia, he used
this tactic many times to his advantage and thus became well liked and
honored among the Spartans who decided to coin the proverb in his
honor:

To lie to one's countrymen is cowardly but to deceive an enemy in open
war is honorable.

By all accounts, he was a good man, honorable, well-liked, wise and
even kind for a Spartan.

However, the net effect of his rule was the downfall of Sparta because
the Senate so trusted him as king that they gave the kingship too much
power and subsequent generations of Spartan kings abused this power and
ruined their fair city, allowing it to be overrun by the weaker greeks
because their kings desired power too much.

Robbie