[extropy-chat] On co-opting religion for >human ends

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Aug 9 17:53:16 UTC 2005

On Aug 9, 2005, at 2:17 AM, The Avantguardian wrote:

> --- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:
>

>> Which really is a shame.  ID as a justification for
>> evolution, instead
>> of an "alternative" to evolution, could be furthered
>> for >H causes.  If
>> one believes that God used evolution to create
>> mankind, that suggests
>> that (responsibly) taking advantage of the universe
>> we've been
>> presented may in fact be God's will...including such
>> things as altering
>> ourselves to be longer-lived, more intelligent (more
>> capable of
>> perceiving God's wisdom?), et al.  Why fight the
>> Catholic church if we
>> could co-opt it?  (Or, failing that, most of the
>> Protestant churches.)
>> And that's just the Christian part of the world...

I thought of doing that or something in part along such lines.  With
further thought and self-examination I don't believe it is workable.
Such claims of what is "God's will" merely stand among other
radically different claims that have much tradition and huge inertia
behind them.

Almost all the religions start with some premise of the specialness
of humanity and their creation.   Unfortunately this says things
about the nature of human beings that fly in the face of our
knowledge of humans to date.  Pick you poison.  There is the view
that "we are made in the image of God".   Interesting.  God is an
evolved chimp roughly 99% genetically identical to same?  God is of
quite limited intelligence and subject to a great deal of
evolutionary programming and internal pressures?   God is off fragile
constitution?    The New Age version that we are already perfect is
even more laughably absurd.

All forms of dualism in and outside of religion claim we have some
Mind or Soul part that somehow inhabits or controls the meat part.
Increasingly the evidence is that the meat and the "programs" running
on it is all there is.  Given a "soul"  then the clear high goal for
life is whatever is best for the soul.  Many Abrahamic religions tend
toward perfecting the soul in part through suffering or submission to
God even claiming the suffering on earth is simply God's will.  This
view is highly incompatible with transhumanism.  Many Eastern
religions hold that the soul or its equivalent has life after life in
this place of suffering until it releases all desires for anything
here and finds some meditative bliss state and perfect intuitive
understanding of everything.  Funny how all those bliss babies rarely
discover anything that would end much of the actual physical
suffering around them.   Os this perfect Knowing seems highly suspect
and this bliss, sweet as I know from experience that it is, highly
suspect.  There is nothing in such a meaning to life that makes much
room for transhumanism.  Yes, you can bolt it on but the fundamental
view of the religions is dualistic and other worldly generally
speaking.  The basic core beliefs about the nature of human beings
and our place in the world is not compatible with scientific
understanding and is usually held as axiomatic.

Being one who is highly susceptible to mysticism, visions and so on,
find the project personally extremely difficult.  It is all too easy
to be sucked into quite enticing POVs that are severely out of
balance with hard won understanding and the rudiments of rationality.

- samantha