[extropy-chat] On co-opting religion for >human ends

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 02:39:06 UTC 2005

Damien has done that.  He wrote a very clever children's
story that was kinda based on a fairy tale of Jack and
the Beanstalk.  He figured out the physics of having a
nanotech-based satellite that would grow appendages
earthward and skyward from GEO.  I imagined nanobots on
the space cable surface, passing carbon atoms or buckyballs
hand over hand sort of, out to the end of the beanstalk,
where another specialized nanobot would take the carbon
atoms and (somehow) fit them into a diamond crystal matrix,
not so very different from how a plant grows a branch.

I figure transhumanist memes will implant most easily
into the minds of children thru specially-designed
children's stories.

It is so tragic that as we age, we not only lose our
sight, we lose our ability to see what is possible.