[extropy-chat] Hollywood: Film Innovation - Science, Tech, Physics, Space News

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 16:09:28 UTC 2005

"Hollywood's top movie studios have agreed on a pivotal technical standard
that clears the way for a brave new era of digital film projection in
theaters worldwide, officials announced."
http://www.physorg.com/news5504.html

As a former inde-filmmaker, I have nostalgia for celluloid, but when I
worked with Francis Coppola at Zoetrope on "Six Shots" the first HD digital
film; I was convinced that our beloved art of filmmaking would soon be the
wave of the future.  Two decades have passed and it is still in the making.

There are several reasons why this new technology has not become successful
so far:  the lack of cohesiveness in the film industry in setting an
industry standard, the high cost for theaters to change the medium for
viewing films and upgrading their hardware.

Natasha

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc