[extropy-chat] Goldwater was really something

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 02:09:34 UTC 2005

I know this getting into hero worshipping chit -chat, too much of politics is based on childish awe for a hero,  but everytime Goldwater is mentioned, he is mentioned with respect. Hillary Clinton worked for Goldwater's presidential campaign, apparently she doesn't regret it.
What is most pleasing is how Goldwater was consistently opposed to the draft, that is the acid test of a libertarian, not wanting to turn an impressionable inexperienced young man into a thing to be shot or blown up or even burnt alive.
Being opposed to military conscription is a sign of respect if not compassion.

David Lubkin <extropy at unreasonable.com> wrote:

We came close; we at least had one on the ballot in 1964. Beginning last
November, I've taken to wearing a "Goldwater in 1964" button on my lapel.

It's funny -- I'm on another list that obsessively discusses politics, and
is fairly evenly split between liberal, conservative, and libertarian. When
I brought up Goldwater, amazingly everyone agreed that they thought highly
of him. All those who were old enough to have voted in 1964, and did vote
for LBJ, wished they'd voted for Goldwater.

Goldwater was tough, savvy, smart, knowledgeable, compassionate, and at
least 80/80 libertarian. But he was too honorable to adequately counter
Bill Moyers' campaign smears of him, the latter being all that most people
remember of him.

-- David Lubkin.

http://mail.yahoo.com