[extropy-chat] NEO deflection

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 06:16:58 UTC 2005

--- Bret Kulakovich <bret at bonfireproductions.com>
wrote:

> As far as 'the easiest' goes - my understanding is
> that a proximity
> detonation of a nuclear device would allow the
> heated side of the
> object to become propulsion. Not only would the
> explosion work to
> nudge, but the remaining eminations from the side of
> the body facing
> the detonation could provide thrust for days as it
> cools.

Another reason this is a bad idea is that if the rock
is spinning, then the "emmissions" you speak of would
cause the orbit to become chaotic and less
predictable. If we land on the thing, we will be able
to use timed pulses of thrust to get controllable
vectoring of the rock. The easiest way is seldomly the
most useful.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson