[extropy-chat] Fly Me 'Round the Moon

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 12 03:14:16 UTC 2005

> > Landing on the moon and getting back is about
> > an order of magnitude more difficult than a
> > fly-by.  Getting out and hopping around is
> > about another factor of e in difficulty.
>
> If three guys with the equivalent of an 8088 processor can do it, one
> guy with a G4 should be able to do it.
>
> Mike Lorrey

The challenge isn't in computing.  The 8088 was sufficient
for the purpose.  The challenge is in carrying enough
propellant.  If we need not land and launch from the
lunar surface, the saving is very great.  If we need not
insert into lunar orbit and blast back out of it, the
savings are even greater.  Either way a palm pilot carries
enough computing power.

The one guy part sounds good however.