[extropy-chat] telomerase immortalized cell lines

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 05:32:55 UTC 2005

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Yet I'd heard from
> what I took
> to be a reliable source that the woman's actual name
> was
> Henrietta Lacks. A black woman. Urban myths can
> obviously
> find a place amongst lab researchers too.

You might be right on this, but my point was that all
Hela cells in use the world over are derived from the
tumor of a single individual that died decades ago.
Although by this time, there are numerous genetic
variants. Its kind of sad actually that the tumor that
killed her actually achieved immortality itself. Of
course it is dependent sort of immortality in the
sense that these cells could not survive in a pond.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson