[extropy-chat] [Politics] Real Politick

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 05:50:27 UTC 2005

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  By all means lets there be maximum liberty the
> world
> over as long as one can accept the fleas coming with
> the dog.

The one liberty that does not exist is freedom from
the consequences of ones own actions.

> For instance, cults are religions without political
> power, cults want the maximum they can get and we
> are
> obliged to protect a Jim Jones' liberty as well as a
> decent Mormon's.

Another way to look at it is that religions are cults
that have somehow managed to survive a couple of
generations. Just don't drink the kool-aid.

 *Everyone* wants liberty plus
> enough
> political power to protect their liberty. Or
> licence.

No some want much more. Do not decieve yourself that
the masses do not harbour thousands of would be
Stalins. Most just don't have the talent or the guts
to pull it off. That's why I thank the Primordial Ooze
for checks and balances in the Constitution. If we can
keep it from being used as toilet paper that is.

> We intellectuals discuss these matters in a
> sanitized
> manner yet the reality is very ugly.

No the reality is sublimely, breathtakingly, and
indescribably beautiful. Look for ugliness in the
world and you will find it. Look for the beauty and
you will find it. Be afraid and your worst nightmares
will come to pass. Be loving and every atom of the
universe will conspire to make your fondest wishes
come true.

 You know the
> future wont be anything like we expect.

Yet paradoxically, the future will be EXACTLY what WE
make it. The surest prophecy is the one you yourself fulfill.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson