[extropy-chat] New Task Force to Study Nanotech Implications

MIKE TREDER iph1954 at msn.com
Tue Aug 16 14:52:09 UTC 2005

*CRN Announces Formation of New Task Force to Study Societal Implications*

Today the Center for Responsible Nanotechnology (CRN) announced the charter
members of a new Task Force convened to study the societal implications of
this rapidly emerging technology. Bringing together a diverse group of
world-class experts from multiple disciplines, CRN will begin a historic,
collaborative effort to develop comprehensive policy recommendations for the
safe and responsible use of molecular manufacturing.

Nanotechnology is the projected ability to make things from the bottom up,
using techniques and tools that are being developed today to place every
atom and molecule in a desired place. When this form of molecular
engineering is achieved, it will result in a manufacturing revolution — with
more promise for society than the computer revolution, but with potentially
serious economic, social, environmental, and military implications.

Mike Treder, Executive Director of CRN, made the following statement:

"Progress toward developing the technical requirements for desktop molecular
manufacturing is moving faster than it was when we founded CRN two years
ago. The recent announcement of a Technology Roadmap for Productive
Nanosystems, to be organized by the Battelle research organization and the
Foresight Nanotech Institute, has highlighted the urgent need for parallel
policy discussions at the highest levels. We must not allow efforts to
effectively prepare for the impacts of nanotechnology to lag behind advances
on the technical side.

"All of our research to date shows that molecular manufacturing will have a
transformative impact on our society, industry, the environment, and
geopolitics. Without adequate preparation and study, the effects could be
dangerously disruptive.

"CRN is honored today to announce the charter members who will head the
important work of the Task Force. They share our vision that it is critical
to begin this dialogue and to include people with expertise and worldviews
spanning the globe. In addition, we are proud to have both the Society of
Manufacturing Engineers and the Society of Police Futurists International as
organizational participants."

Charter members of the Task Force include:

· Nick Bostrom, Ph.D. -- Director, Future of Humanity Institute, Oxford
University
· David Brin -- Author, The Transparent Society
· Jerome C. Glenn -- Director, United Nations University's Millennium
Project
· Ray Kurzweil -- Founder and CEO, Kurzweil Technologies, Inc.

Treder continued, "We look forward to working together with all these
leaders in their respective fields to establish a factual foundation for
advanced nanotechnology; identify potential problems arising from the
technology and its administration; design recommendation for global
solutions; plan and strategize the implementation of the solutions; and
communicate our findings to where they need to be heard.

"Without mutual understanding and cooperation in making policy, the
hazardous potentials of advanced nanotechnology could spiral out of control
and deny any hope of realizing the benefits to society. The CRN Task Force,
led by this talented group of charter members, is poised to begin this
important work."

The Center for Responsible Nanotechnology (http://CRNano.org) is a
non-profit research and advocacy organization concerned with the major
societal and environmental implications of advanced nanotechnology. CRN
promotes public awareness and education, and the crafting of effective
policy to maximize benefits and reduce dangers. Headquartered in New York,
CRN is an affiliate of World Care, an international, non-profit, 501(c)(3)
organization.

RELEASE ONLINE: http://www.crnano.org/PR-charter.htm