[extropy-chat] [Politics] Real Politick

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 01:16:09 UTC 2005

I can verify this.  I went to vote (in Taxifornia), held out my driver's
license.  The poll workers told me that it was not necessary.  I
asked how they could know it was actually me coming to vote.  They
sidestepped the question by saying that they were not allowed to
ask for ID.  I was dismayed, but realized they were volunteer poll
workers doing a job by the rules, so there was no point in spoiling
their day.

Furthermore, there is no law that requires one to carry ID if one
is not driving or committing a crime.  This is good, for in my
hood, there are a lot of people with neither drivers license nor
photo ID.  They did ask me to sign for the ballot, but they had no
way of knowing what my signature is supposed to look like.  Most
disturbing.