[extropy-chat] politics of transhumanism and Real Politick

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Thu Aug 18 17:22:54 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I read this originally and couldn't make time to post a response
(train time absorbed by problem solving) and now the response stream
is pretty fragmented, and kinda getting ad-hominemic again.

So I am going back to the source here, and will try to tie together
this with another recent stream.

There is a lot of notions of 'selfishness' and 'evil' and etc. with
regard to nation-states, but a lot of this is, I feel, akin to
watching the seagulls pluck baby sea turtles off the beach on 'Wild
Wild World of Animals'.

What I am trying to say here is: 'It Worked.' A lot of people
complain about the use of the atomic bomb in WWII. It Worked. WWII
ended soon after. A lot of people don't like US foreign policy in the
20th Century. It worked. The US is a superpower, and now perhaps the
last superpower. More freedom than any of the competitors. Most of
the world currencies are still based on the dollar. Reaganomics and
his Star Wars? It worked. The Soviet Union couldn't keep up, they
faced financial collapse because of the size of their military
industrial complex (etc. etc.).

The nation-state as a successful organism. Too many people infer that
saying something good that is true about your country is boasting, or
propaganda. Or that we do not, in such statements, give proper credit
to people who immigrated to this country to become citizens and it
was their contribution that help put us over the top in certain
discoveries.

Yet it was their ideals that brought them here. People argue on
usenet about how the US 'had it coming' on 9/11. How the US is
cheating its own people because of the price of gasoline. How the US
generally engages in a variety of phaging or gastro-intestinal
related verb actions. On usenet, on the internet, over the web. On
their desktop computers. On their cell phones. What degree of effort
was spent by the US and her citizens to put these tools in their
irate hands?

So when people want to somehow feel guilty about the accomplishments
of the US - and the expense of those accomplishments - I want to ask:
Who would have done otherwise? Where is the idealogical utopia of
peace and love that would not have taken the first and every step to
put its ideology and people as close to the top as possible?

There isn't one - because whoever they were, they were stomped flat.
And that, whether we are comfortable with it or not, is the current
state of human nature. Yes, we can apply ourselves and be vigorous in
our appeal to deal peacebly with one another, but not everyone is
aiming at this higher ideal just yet.

Which brings me to a the points more directed toward your content:
Taiwan is a metaphor of US/Chinese relations. Taiwan has a huge
material, social and economic investment from the US. China wants it
back for the reasons you cited and then some. China and the US both
get a lot of value from one another, and from Taiwan, and *from their
posturing on Taiwan*. Their will only be a hot war if someone finds
an even greater mode of game play at an even higher level. There is
already a cold war.

As a closing - a lot of talk has happened about separation of
Libertarianism and Transhumanism. As I said in a previous post, and
may even come up later in this thread - we need to look back at the
source. Transhumanism may have foundations in other times and places,
philosophical similarities here and there from which it gains its
heritance. But it did *not* come from Communist China, Soviet Russia,
1930s Germany, Ancient Persia, Babylonia, ad nauseam. It is here and
now, and took form as it did from Libertarian roots, and arguably
from the golden age of science fiction among many things. It is the
product of an open society, that has looked in the face of
oppression. There are ideals that may or may not work for some, but I
think the way the individual is treated being so important in
Transhumanism, ties it most closely to that set of ideals.

]3ret