[extropy-chat] From soy & lentils to Soylent specials

Jeff Medina analyticphilosophy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 14:53:28 UTC 2005

Now that scientists have methods to grow meat without growing a whole
entity[*], re-opening meat eating to a number of vegetarians and
vegans, is it only a matter of time before Ground Chuck is on the
shelves next to Ground Jim?

The same technologies used to grow cruelty-free slabs of tasty
pre-bacon-fied goodness can be used to grow Leg of Lucy or Jeffy
Flakes. Since no human is harmed, it shouldn't be illegal -- although
that doesn't mean it won't be. The yuck factor will likely remain
strong when it comes to Buffalo Bill Wings, and one can readily
imagine plenty of objections from the human dignity crowd.

I pass the buck to you, freethinking boundary-breakers. How long, if
ever, until Mel's Diner has $9.99 Soylent specials? And would you be
bold enough to take a taste, or is it just too gross? If it is, while
non-human meat isn't, what are your thoughts on why?

At risk of sounding creepy, I'll be the first to admit that I'd try
it. Heck, I'd even try some meat grown from my own cell samples;
non-damaging self-cannibalism, now *that* is sounding surreal, perhaps
more appropriate to a David Lunch film. Er, Lynch.

[*] When meat is not murder:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,5261870-103531,00.html

--
Jeff Medina
http://www.painfullyclear.com/

Community Director
http://www.singinst.org/

Relationships & Community Fellow
Institute for Ethics & Emerging Technologies
http://www.ieet.org/

School of Philosophy, Birkbeck, University of London
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/phil/