[extropy-chat] FWD [U-Tapao] Re: IS IT TIME TO RATION FUEL?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Aug 22 10:18:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 07:58:38PM +1000, Brett Paatsch wrote:

> That is interesting if its specifically true. 2.5 times equivalent unit
> weight
> seems like quite a transportation premium being enjoyed or befuddled
> somewhere. I'm not doubting your honesty just wondering how

Fossil prices have only very little to do with production costs, but
everything with taxation or subsidies.

The most I paid for 98 lead-free super seems to have been 1.39 EUR/l yesterday,
and day before.  (1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters, according to Google).

It is interesting whether this level of taxation is sustainable.
End consumers are one thing, but transportation costs alre already causing
company bancruptcy on a rising scale.

As jobs jobs jobs are the new mantra, anything that is hurting the
companies (state deficits be damned) is increasingly becoming a hard
and harder sell politically.