[extropy-chat] FWD [U-Tapao] Re: IS IT TIME TO RATION FUEL?

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Mon Aug 22 11:00:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Brett Paatsch wrote:

>BillK wrote:
>
>> In Europe the gas price at the pumps is still around 2.5 times higher
>> than US.
>
>That is interesting if its specifically true. 2.5 times equivalent unit
>weight
>seems like quite a transportation premium being enjoyed or befuddled
>somewhere. I'm not doubting your honesty just wondering how
>specifically true it is. If we could get someone on the list to look out
>their window in say some specific town and street in Texas and read off
>the bowser price of fuel and have someone else do the same in some
>town and street in Europe we could play ourselves a nice little game of
>trace the value chain.

Here in Italy the current price is arount EUR 1.25/liter, that according
to Google comes out as 5.79 USD per gallon.

Most of that price is taxes of course. The current price is seen as very
high, but in reality it has hovered around an inflation-adjusted value of
about 1 Euro per liter, or $4.6 per gallon for the last twenty years or
so.

Alfio