[extropy-chat] Value chain tracing was FWD [U-Tapao] Re: IS IT TIME TO RATION FUEL?

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 22 11:09:40 UTC 2005

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 07:58:38PM +1000, Brett Paatsch wrote:
>
> > That is interesting if its specifically true. 2.5 times equivalent unit
> > weight seems like quite a transportation premium being enjoyed
> > or befuddled somewhere. I'm not doubting your honesty just wondering how
>
> Fossil prices have only very little to do with production costs, but
> everything with taxation or subsidies.

I reckon your probably pretty right Eugen but getting at the purer truth
of it might be fun, but bearing in mind I'm in not in either Europe or
the US I think we need to get specific because the variatious in taxes
and charges and profit margins etc are very likely to exist within such
big geographic areas, thats why I want to hone in one particular petrol
station one in each of two particular places. (And it makes sense that
each of these be stations that are of least some interest to someone
involved in the conversation.

Heck pick stations in built up areas and the internet could possibly
give us the tech to look at satelight photos in real time. I doubt we'll
get satelight photos of bowser prices that sort of resolution is likely
asking a bit much.

> The most I paid for 98 lead-free super seems to have been 1.39 EUR/l
> yesterday, and day before.  (1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters, according
> to Google).

> It is interesting whether this level of taxation is sustainable.

That's the spirit Eugen we'll make a political economist of you yet!

> End consumers are one thing, but transportation costs alre already
> causing company bancruptcy on a rising scale.

Okay, sure, but thats too general an observation for us to play with.
If you tell me that petrol station Eugens-regular-retailer located at
the corner of x and y streets in put-Eugen's hometown here. Then we
can start to do some net research into the value chains that puts
the petrol into your car there at a different price to Bill (well Bill's
also in Europe we need an American to play, but dang they are
all so shy. Hey, where IS Mike Lorrey he will know the price
of petrol any square ten centremetres of new hampshire and exactly
which particulary gummint critters at which level state and federal are
actually aiming to put their hands on it or he is not the real Mike
Lorrey.

> As jobs jobs jobs are the new mantra, anything that is hurting
> the companies (state deficits be damned) is increasingly becoming
> a hard and harder sell politically.

That new mantra is global your local pollies aren't picking on you.