[extropy-chat] Real estate as an extropian investment

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 19:00:12 UTC 2005

On 8/22/05, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> The distinction is because the retirement system is not set up to deal
> with people living unusually long into retirement. It is broken right
> now because too many people are living longer than the system intended
> or expected. It is not structured to vary the retirement age with
> average life expectancy. Riks proposal is to give potential retirees
> the choice: accept Social Security benefits or longevity benefits, not
> both. This is a good idea, IMHO, but ideally I'd rather up the
> retirement age immediately (or over a decade) to 70-75, then let it
> float with the life expectancy. This was attempted partly in the 90's,
> when it was upped to 67.

See: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4172960.stm>

Young people are in a worse economic position than their parents were
at their age, according to a new study.

They are paying for the welfare state "without being able to expect
many of the benefits", Reform says.

They must now pay for their own higher education and save for their
retirement, while supporting an aging population, the think-tank says.

Government policies are "mortgaging the future of a generation," warns
Mr Bosanquet.
"This is a really big issue for the country," he said.

While this report is specific to the UK, it probably applies equally
well to all developed countries with an aging population.

Increasing the retirement age means that young people will have to
keep paying for longer before getting any benefits. Politicians are
finding that this is a very unpopular option.

BillK