[extropy-chat] is spreading ones own genes relevant, or just an anachronism ?

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Tue Aug 23 21:42:57 UTC 2005

At 04:28 PM 8/23/2005, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>>I am informed by both my own (very powerful) instinctual urges and
>>tendencies, and by works of authors (such as Jared Diamond in The 3rd
>>Chimpanzee) that it is my goal to spread my genetic material, or progeny,
>>as far and as wide and as varied as possible.
>
>No, this is your genes' goal.  *Your* goals are to love, to live, to
>have fun, to have sex, to eat good food rich and sugar in fat, to
>increase your status, to find a good long-term mate, to raise
>children together, etc. etc.

Genes gave most people goals like these in an attempt to achieve the
genes' goals.  So you may well find that you have goals like
these.  But in a sense you can choose your goals.  If you want to
identify with your genes, or your memes, or your nation, well then
helping those things can be what you want.  Of course it is easy to
fool yourself into thinking you want something unusual, when in fact
you really want what most everyone else wants.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323