[extropy-chat] TECH: Web Ad filtering

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 08:27:40 UTC 2005

First Dirk then Emlyn comment that the ads are not too intrusive.
Haven't you heard of ad-filtering software?

I never see any gmail ads and rarely see ads on any other site.
Admittedly I do have a bit of a 'thing' about avoiding ads that web
sites try to thrust into my face, but the basics are really easy.

Install Firefox. (Stops web sites pushing all the ActiveX crap at you).

Set the Popup Ads block option. (Stops popup ads).

Read through the Firefox extensions list that you can install.
The AdBlock extension will stop many ads, and you can find libraries
of filters to block more.

The Preferences Toolbar extension enables you to switch Flash and Java
on and off as required.

Try setting the option for 'Load images from originating site only'.
Most ads come from a separate ad server, so they will be blocked, but
this option will also spoil some sites.

That's the easy stuff.  A few minutes to install the above will really
clean up your web experience.

For those on a crusade against web ads (like me ;)  ), and prepared to
spend the time on learning about new software packages, try the more
complex stuff below.
The thing to remember is that ad-filtering can sometimes get false
positives and delete important parts of a web site that are not really
ads. It is an ongoing battle with the ad pushers. So if you try
experimenting with the clever stuff, expect funny things to happen,
especially while you're learning! But the packages below have forums
where you can get help and advice, so you won't be on your own.

Try the GreaseMonkey Firefox extension. This can redraw any website
the way you like it. Fans have provided many filters for various
sites.

Try the Proxomitron (Windows only). Again fans have libraries of
filters available.
<http://www.proxomitron.info/>

Try Privoxy (Linux and Windows)
<http://www.privoxy.org/>

There is more filtering available, and google will find it for you if
you get really enthusiastic

Have fun!    BillK