[extropy-chat] a futurist prediction

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Aug 25 22:32:42 UTC 2005

I have given up on talking politics in this venue for the most part.
But it scares and saddens me to see this country apparently marching
to its demise and to see many here forgiving and sanctioning too much
that is now being done by this wonderfully conceived nation.  I am
afraid because there are a lot of energies afoot that could derail
all those wonderful possibilities and aspirations for generations.
And many of those negative things are done by we (Americans)
ourselves.   To not face that is to possibly be blind-sided and
destroyed.    Facing it does not mean being anti-American.   On the
flip side being extropian does not require a default political
position of always seeing America as good or excusing too much simply
because it is America.    Yes the founding was based on the
absolutely crucial Enlightenment positions and understandings.  Yes
the pro-individual focus was and is a fabulously right and needed.
But we should not lose the ability for self-examination just on the
basis of what the best of our roots were.  Nor should we assume that
critics of various aspects of what America is and does today are
against or attacking these roots or semehow automatically the kin of
luddites and freedom haters.

- samantha