Oxygenating the flame in threads was Re: [extropy-chat] afuturist prediction

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Aug 25 23:06:15 UTC 2005

On Aug 25, 2005, at 3:02 AM, Brett Paatsch wrote in response to Eugen:

>> > Crap is poisonous.
>>

> So don't do it on the list (which you and I agree on), but the second
> point is when someone else does, don't eat it, don't praise it, don't
> encourage it.

It is good to actively prohibit others from shitting in the communal
waterway.  It is insufficient and unhealthy to simply ignore the
turds floating by.

>> > It causes a slippery slope: everybody's standards slide. The best
>> > contributors soon leave, because they have the least tolerance
>> > for crap.
>>

> I don't know that that is true.

I do.  I argued over it at first too but I am convinced by the
evidence inside myself and watching the process in various lists more
closely.

> It might be. Damien Broderick and Hal have said things like that that
> I took seriously because I consider Damien and Hal to be amongst
> the bed quality posters.

That isn't a good way to validate such a hypothesis.

> I think Hal said "bad posters drive away good".  But I'm not sure
> that even Hal or Damien are always the best judges of what is and
> isn't going anywhere. Nor would I be and I definately don't want
> to be.

Not sure I see what you meant to say.

> But if you consider what is implied when people say they want more
> quality isn't it that they want other people to post more good quality
> stuff? Or censorship?

They want less crap to wade through to maybe get to something good.

> Re the first, of course we'd all like to have more great stuff (as we
> variously see it, to read, but that involves someone taking the time
> to write it and they are not paid for doing so).

People aren't paid for writing crap either.  But it is easier to
write and will thus likely predominate if not suppressed.

>>  The trolls take over. Eventually, not even idiots can
>>  tolerate idiots, volume goes down, and the list dies. Consider this
>>  a caricature of a common pattern, a pattern I've seen very often.
>>

> I consider it a theory. Yours. I'm open to your evidence in its
> favour.

Well of course it is a theory.  The evidence is in front of and all
around you.

>> This is why shunning doesn't work online.
>>

> If one is part of the noise and one is not being read then shunning
> isn't going to work of course. If the people you like to talk to won't
> talk to you *maybe* there is a reason.  Maybe you've pissed them
> off.  It is very hard to shun someone that is already not paying
> attention to you, so that is why I suggest coupling the tactic with
> a database. I suggest *actively* using and processing the list. Keep
> track of the interests of people you want to talk to. Repay good
> posts with good posts.

So why not track who has given up on reading your stuff?  The
feedback might be a very good thing to have.  It is hard to calibrate
ourselves without feedback.  It seems like you are only into positive
feedback.  But that is insufficient for a  system to self-correct.

- samantha