[extropy-chat] Nanoscale LED's

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 05:28:04 UTC 2005

Extropes,

I've never waivered in my belief that the tech
revolution is the real deal, driven by the
ever-accelerating pace of tech
research-slash-discovery-slash-application.

While I agree with Harvey that the expanse of new
possible knowledge--the previously unknown now partly
seen out of the mists of Maya--is vast, yet it is a
challenge not so much from accessibility as from the
hugeness of the task... of exploration.  It is a vast
"orchard" to be sure, but an orchard of "low hanging
fruit".  A vast job of easy pickins for a world soon
to be 'enhanced' by an equally vast emerging multitude
of Chinese and Indian techies.

Yeah, baby!  Bring it on.

Nanocrystals Spark Efficient LEDs

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/09/rnb_090204.asp?trk=nl

...The light-emitting diodes can be as small as a few
nanometers in diameter...

...The nanoscale lights use very little power and can
be made in different colors ***simply***[my emphasis]
by varying the sizes of the nanocrystals. ...

...Nanocrystals are easy to manufacture, durable, and
are very efficient light emitters. ...

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles