[extropy-chat] Fear of Death Much Worse Than You Think

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 26 16:11:30 UTC 2005

Some of the data seems to be a bit selective.  For instance, when you
compare death rates for cities with the best water and sewer systems,
do you also control for crime rates and other potentially incidentally
related (save that there are only so many large cities) effects?

Still, it would be interesting to see the medical establishment's
specific criticisms of this.  (Not objection on face value, but the
specific errors they find - if any - in the data.)  Even after that,
you'll probably still have something of an argument for reform of
medical spending.  (For instance, I don't think many people have looked
at the medical effects of large numbers of restricted activity days in
preparation for receiving health care, which might well outweigh the
marginal - possibly nearly zero, at the level you examine - extra
benefits received from having a doctor check for problems more
frequently.)