[extropy-chat] women allowed to vote in the land/s of the free

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Aug 27 00:06:33 UTC 2005

At 11:18 AM 8/26/2005, you wrote:
>1893: New Zealand grants equal voting rights to women.
>
>1901: Women in Australia get the vote, with some restrictions.
>
>1902: Australia grants more voting rights to women.
>
>1919: Woman suffrage is granted in Belarus, Luxemburg and Ukraine.
>
>1920: On August 26, a constitutional amendment is adopted when the state
>of Tennessee ratifies it, granting full woman suffrage in all states of
>the United States. [puff, pant]
>
>=========
>
>It's easy to forget how comparatively recently all these kinds of changes
>happened...

Brings things into perspective doesn't it.

I wondered if the young women today give this much thought; so I googled a
bit and came upon this statement: "Young women who are drawn to political
activism do not, for the most part, join women's groups. They are much more
likely to join anticorporate, antiglobalization, or social justice groups"
which is found in the essay, "Feminist  Consciousness After the Women's
Movement" (Epstein) http://www.monthlyreview.org/0902epstein.htm as one
viewpoint on the subject.

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist, Designer
Studies of the Future, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Alvin Toffler
Random acts of kindness... Anne Herbet