[extropy-chat] Accelerando Technical Companion on Wikibooks

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 05:41:54 UTC 2005

The Wikibooks <http://en.wikibooks.org/> repository, a collection of
open-content textbooks that anyone can edit, has a "Accelerando Technical
Companion <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Accelerando_Technical_Companion>". This
is a technical companion to Charlie
Stross<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Stross>'s
latest novel, Accelerando<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerando_%28novel%29>.
Stross's book can be quite dense in unusual technical terms and concepts,
which can sometimes be quite confusing to readers unfamiliar with them. The
purpose of this companion is to help alleviate any confusions the reader may
have, as well as to introduce new confusions by giving the reader an idea of
the current state and expected future of the technologies described in the
novel. Wherever possible, brief information on relevant research papers is
provided. Accelerando is not a "post-Singularity" novel but rather a
"through-Singularity" novel as it takes the reader from our days (the first
chapter "Lobsters" can be situated around 2010) through a Singularity to a
sketched post-Singularity world. In the novel Stross focuses more on the
social impact of technologies pushing to a Singularity and only hints at the
technologies themselves. The aim of this technical companion is filling the
gaps and providing Accelerando readers with a technical background.
I am reading the free downloadable book (and waiting for the hardcover
edition which I have purchased), so I am trying to contribute to the
Technical Companion. I believe many readers prefer starting with a fine
novel, rather than with a technical book or report, to read on the
technologies that will change our lives.